Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Restless night



So this is how it all went down last night:
(Times approximate but pretty accurate)

8:30 pm Young Women presidency meeting that last for about an hour

9:35 pm I come home and get ready for bed and set my goals for tomorrow (something I'm working on) and I'm feeling pretty prepared for the next day.

10 ish I head downstairs and ask Cory if he wants to watch American Idol with me...so we do. We talk for about 10 minutes after the show, about my meeting, and head to bed

11 pm crawl into bed, tired and ready for a nice slumber

11:30 pm can't sleep (even though my eyes hurt because I'm so tired) and I decide to get up and respond to an e-mail.

11:35 pm back in bed, tossing and turning

12 ish finally in a light sleep

1:15 am wake to screaming coming from Ethan, go in to hear him tell me that he wants to go down and eat breakfast. I tell him it's the middle of the night and time to go back to bed and he gets upset, talks really loud, and gets mad every time I try to leave

1:25 am leave room get half-way down hall and he's yelling for me again. Annoyed, I go back in and ask him if he's hungry and if he wants a piece of bread (he didn't eat his dinner last night so I'm sure that is why he is up). After talking about it he says grudgingly "yes" and I head downstairs to fetch the bread; hoping this will be the end I can go back to bed.

1:31 am Now I'm back in his room and he doesn't want the bread now and throws it off his bed onto the floor; then decides 2 minutes later he wants it. I'm feeling my blood pressure rising. I tell him sternly that I will sing him one song and it is back to bed and I don't want to see him until the sun is up. I sing a song and he keeps telling me that he "wants me" so I said that I will lay with him for 2 minutes than I don't want to hear any more crying or whining (Ethan is hard to deal with during the middle of the night because its like he's sleeping, though he is awake, and he is hard to reason with and get through to). I lay with him then tell him goodnight and head back to bed.

1:45 am I'm in bed wondering if it was a smart idea to give my son bread during the middle of the night because, well...what if he chokes? I laid there for about 10 minutes trying to will my tired body to get up and just go and make sure that he hasn't fallen asleep with bread in his mouth when I hear "MOMMY....MOMMY!" A blessing in disguise, at least I know he's alive, but that means I have to get up again, and just about on my last straw. As I walk I give myself mental reminders to try and be patient and I go in and ask him what he needs. He is thirsty....of course.

1:47 am I tell him I'll get him a drink and then it's right to bed. He agrees. I am thankful for that and head down to get him some water. He thanks me for the cup and off to bed I go. I fall into bed and do the math......I've only had a good hour of sleep, maybe an hour in ten. I'm thinking there goes my plans to work out before Cory goes to work. I lay there and cannot sleep. Go figure.

2:14 am I roll over and hit my phone to see what time it is and shortly after fall asleep

4:10 am I wake up to hear Brooklyn SCREAMING! Usually I just let her cry but knowing I've only had a few hours of sleep under my belt I get up and get her a warm bottle of milk and it does the trick. Off to bed I go...again.

6 am ish Ethan is awake, it's dark outside and he's standing in the dark hall crying that it's dark and he can't see (surely going to wake the entire household while he's doing it). I nudged Cory who got up and took him downstairs to get him something to eat.

Somewhere between 6-7 am (it's all a blur) there are screams from Ethan....LOUD screams....a product of him being "bugged" by Briggs. It's his defense mechanism, and not a well-accepted sound in our home. Cory gets up and gives him a stern warning and back to bed he comes.

7:02 am I hear Brooklyn crying. Cory says his ankle is hurting and asks if I'll get Brooklyn. I don't know if I answered him but I'm so tired I lay there and fall asleep until Ethan comes in at 8 to ask me if I'm still tired? When I tell him "yes" he says matter-of-factly and too chipper for me this morning, "well, I'm not tired anymore." I think to myself "glad to hear it."

8:00 am I roll out of bed, say my prayers (because I know I'm going to need them today) and head down to start my day.


Photobucket

May my prayers work today and may I get to bed earlier than I did last night!!

6 comments:

Diane said...

The life of a loving mother! We older Mom's have been there and felt the same things. Hope you have a great day.

S&J Jones Family said...

Ugh!! Days like that are hard to get through. Good luck!

Laura said...

Ahhh motherhood! I had to chuckle at he 7:02 entry. Ryan is hard to reason with sometimes at night as well. Wonder where the little man gets it from ;) Best of luck!

Stephani said...

I plead that prayer often too. ;) Hope you get some much needed and deserved rest!

Judy said...

Your comment about the bread made me think of a story my Dad used to tell about me. My Mom had had several nights in a row of me waking up several time in the night crying for a drink of water. When she got up to get it, I wouldn't take it. Finally one night my Dad said, "Let me do it."
He got me the drink and when I said "Umph" and wouldn't take it, he threw the whole glass of water at me and drenched me. He would not let Mom get up and change me. He said it took care of the problem. There was a day when problems were no solved by reasoning.

Grandma Hansen

The Becks said...

It happens to the best of us! At least it's good to know there are lots of other mommies out there in the world thinking the same things I do in the middle of the night when all I want to do is sleep!