Day 1-Thursday
Brooklyn and I were at the airport by 8:30 am to catch a 9:30 flight to Kansas City. 8:35 we found out our flight has been delayed about an hour. We decided to walk around. About 30 minutes later we head over to our gate to check things out and I saw a line of about 35 people and I looked at the sign and it said the flight has been cancelled. We waited for an hour plus to get re-booked on another flight through another city and on another airline. Cory came and picked us up for a few hours and I was able to go see Briggs' pre-school art show (very cute!) and then we got some Donatos pepperoni pizza! My favorite--and I'm not even a pepperoni fan!!! And then we headed back up to the airport for a second try. After two flights we finally arrived in Kansas City at 5:30 that evening. Brooklyn did pretty good. Really no complaints. It actually all worked out as my sister Candace's flight from New York was cancelled as well and she was re-booked and arrived just shortly before mine.
Crystal and Gabe came and picked us up from the airport and we were on our way. It was soooo good to see them!
On our way home we decided to go eat at a favorite restaurant of Cory and I's from when we lived there almost 2 1/2 years ago. Jack Stack BBBQ. The particular restaurant that we went to was at the old Freight House. The ribs aren't as good at that one as the restaurant by our old house but the baked beans and loaded baked potato...amazing! Brooklyn didn't eat anything, she just played in her water and made a mess of that. It was fun to go through the city a little bit and reminisce the time that we lived there. (Though I would have loved to go by our old home and talk with one of our neighbors--it just wasn't in the cards).
We had a good time just us sisters...and Gabe...just laughing and chatting it up!












Brooklyn soaked from her water
Crystal, Ashlyn, Candace, Me and Brooklyn
Doting parents!
With a face like that...you would too! What a cutie!
Look at Brooklyn giving the "scowl" to Uncle Gabe. My mom said I used to do the same thing. I'm beginning to discover that Brooklyn has a lot more of me in her that I originally thought! Just ask Cory!
Some Kansas City flavor
We drove to the hotel and waited in the lobby for Spencer to arrive. Brooklyn and Ashlyn enjoyed getting to know each other a little better sitting on the blue chair. Brooklyn loved her and Ashlyn was such a happy little girl.
Then they walked in the door.
SURPRISE!!
Spencer had NO idea we were coming for his graduation! He was literally shocked that we were there. In fact I don't think he recognized us for a few seconds because he wasn't expecting us. That was really fun. Spencer got to meet Brooklyn for the first time and said, "she looks like you." I'm glad I was able to bring her so she could meet him.
It was getting late and we just chatted in my parents room with everyone for about a 1/2 hour and then headed to bed--it was a long day for everyone!
Between Day 1 and Day 2-Sometime Friday morning
Brooklyn woke up crying. I was not expecting that as I figured she would be so tired and sleep all night (after all she does at home) and she went to bed super late. No...not so. She was up crying. Saying "mommy...I want you" over and over and over and over. I tried blocking it out for a while but finally I got her out of bed and put her in bed with me. We both conked out. In the morning we were both soaking wet from her bottle that thankfully only had water in it.
Day 2-Friday
In the morning we got up and Crystal, Gabe, Candace and I went to Krispy Kreme and introduced Candace to the wonderful world of yummy donuts--and totally spoiling her no-sweets-for-a-month goal...sorry about that. I only eat donuts about once a year so I admit that I had a couple--all I can say were those maple donuts were um um good! We got something else a little more sustaining for breakfast and headed over to Spencer and Jackie's house to help out there. We helped pack a bit in the basement as the movers were coming shortly and then we took off to go get ready for the Graduation.
I'm proud of my brother who is now a Doctor of Chiropractic's. I know it's been a long and challenging road for them as a family so I am excited for them in this next adventure in their lives. They are moving back to Billings Montana where he will start working at a practice here shortly with hopes to buy into it when the time is right. The graduation was nice. It was even nicer that they had a restless children area (where I spent most of my time) where we got to sit in comfy leather sofa's and watch the graduation from a flat screen. That worked for me. After graduation we took pictures outside.
Aunt Crystal came prepared. I think she was going to watch Nemo if Brooklyn wasn't going to ;-) and Brooklyn was only interested until the shark started chasing one of the fish and then she was done (about 5 minutes).
Gabe and Crystal with Spencer!
Spencer holding Ashlyn
Siblings. So proud of you Spencer!
Little Diva is the best way to describe this little girl...and she just came to us that way...tottally pre-programmed!
Hugs

Spencer with his wife Jackie and sons James and Baer
From left to right: Jackie's parents, Spencer, and our parents
I love this picture because I think it captures how proud they are of Spencer
Shortly after Graduation we ate at a fun Italian restuarant there called Cinzetti's. It was good and fun to chat with everyone. I got to meet Spencer and Jackie's good friends Devin (girl) and Joe and they were awesome--and soon to be married this June! She was adorable and so friendly and he was just great! They actually ended up coming swimming with us later at the hotel with her little son Roman. Brooklyn loved it and we enjoyed swimming in the indoor and outdoor pool. Her little swimming suit was to die for. She was the cutest thing there.
After we all got showered we played a game called Moods. We crammed 11 people in my parents room and got to know each other really well. I told Devin and Joe that they are getting to know the real side of the Joneses...no make-up or hair done, sporting our pj's and silly antics. It was really fun!
We got to bed late and of course Brooklyn woke up again during the night, this time I was prepared. I bought some milk that I was going to warm up and give it to her so we could all get a decent nights sleep but when the time came I went to warm it up and there was NO microwave. Are you kidding me? She was not content with cold milk when she was expecting warm. So, she decided to cry and whine for the next 90 minutes. I think I dozed off and on during that time and finally around 4 I put her in my bed and we slept until morning.
Candace was prepared this time with ear plugs. She said around 11 she put them in because I was snoring....hmmmm...but she assured me that it was not as loud as our Dad snores--that's reassuring. Cory has been telling me for a while that I snore I guess now I have my second witness. Thankfully Brooklyn didn't keep her up.
Day 3-Saturday
We woke up and the girls headed to the mall for a short, only-adult-girls shopping trip. My Dad watched Brooklyn for me, which was really nice. Before we left Crystal went back to the room to get something and she said that Dad had the look of near-panic on his face (she was probably exaggerating--she tends to do that ;-). But she did good for him. The guys took all the kids to Bob Evan's for breakfast and she did great until she just didn't anymore, after about 90 minutes being gone the melt-down occurred. My dad called and I could hear her in the background screaming. He sounded a bit panicked himself and asked when we were coming home and said that nothing he could do would make her happy. She was completely exhausted and they put her in her car-seat and she was out.
We didn't have much time to say goodbye before headed back to the airport. It was a 40 minute drive there and on the way up we had some fun conversations about what my parents remembered about us as kids. One of my favorite conversation was when I made the comment that "Mom always said I was a perfect child" and then Candace said, "Mom said I was a perfect child" and then Crystal said, "Mom?!?!?! You've never told me that!" We all got a great laugh out of it! Thankfully Crystal has a good sense of humor and a healthy self-esteem! I love my sisters! We had such a fun time!
When we got to the airport Candace and I were supposed to be on the same flight to Detroit; which I was really looking forward to. When we got there our flight was yet-again cancelled. So I was re-routed to another airline again and ended up waiting a bit longer to leave but getting on some shorter flights with a lay-over in Chicago, unfortunately Candace had to go to Georgia and then onto New York and got in 2 hours later than she was anticipating.
Brooklyn did awesome on the first flight and peeled the paper off a large box of crayons for a good 30 minutes (the girl loves to pick things) and she got her own seat which was nice. Second flight....not so good! It was a smaller plane--only 2 seats on one side and 1 on the other and a completely FULL flight. We were in the very back and she was restless. I couldn't make her happy. So, I decided it was time for bed (7 o'clock our time) and she screamed bloody murder for over 25 minutes! I'm not exaggerating either. I felt really bad for the people around me but it was the only way. She wasn't even crying tears it was just pure adrenaline, full-on screaming. I just had to go to another place in my mind (which I'm good at doing) and wait it out. It paid off--even if it was at the expense of my fellow travelers. I'm sure I was the highlight (not good albeit) but highlight non-the-less of their airplane ride.
When we got home I handed her off to Cory, with a pounding headache and said "she's all yours!" Boy was it good to have two feet firmly planted on the ground! It was a short trip--probably too short when you travel with a toddler...but good. I was glad we were able to be there for this exciting accomplishment in Spencer's life.
Now...we have a busy few weeks ahead of us....


2 comments:
How fun, that's really cool you all got to be there for Spencer's graduation. Good job Spencer! that is really awesome.
I hear you on having a little one screaming on a crowded airplane. When Bri and Lexx were 3 and 1, I flew all the way down to visit my mom in Mississippi with them. On our last flight on our way there, Lexxi screamed at the top of her lungs, there was nothing I could do to comfort her, and it was really late and everyone on the (smaller) airplane was looking at me and as miserable as I was. Then on our way back home, poor guy stuck next to us had to endure Lexx in a dirty diaper, because Bri was napping, and I was so exhausted and didn't want to wake her and drag her down the aisle to the bathroom. I swear airplanes need to install mother's rooms!! ;)
Loved looking at all the wonderful photos! Congrats to Spencer!! Way to go!!
Post a Comment