I usually buy bread without preservatives and high fructose corn syrup but I don't think the bread companies are going to get our business for a while as I am sold for the time being on making my own and freezing it.
Our family friend has this great cooking blog that I refer to all the time. The other day my sister went on there and decided to try this recipe for whole wheat bread and she said it turned out amazing. I decided to try it out for myself and she wasn't kidding. AMAZING! If you want to read about tips to making your bread even better you can find the whole recipe and tips here (and don't leave out the vital wheat gluten; it is "vital" for a reason!). I highly recommend it. I also thought the tip she put on there about slicing the loaf and freezing it after it cooled was genius as I like homemade bread but it just doesn't last long before it starts tasting old. Why haven't I thought of that before? It has worked wonderful and I just pull out what I need to use that day and it tastes just as fresh as the day I made it! So good.
I also can't wait to try this recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu. I don't know about you but I love Cordon Bleu but it is a pain to make. This recipe takes away so much of the headache and I also thought it was genius. This is definitely on our easter menu for Sunday. Can't wait!
Hope you get a chance to try some new recipes this coming weekend!
LuAnn’s Whole Wheat Bread (with my adaptations)
*Makes 4 loaves
5 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 tablespoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
2 cups white flour
8-10 cups whole wheat flour [I used pastry flour]
Lightly spray bread pans with cooking spray and set aside. Mix the water, sugar, oil, yeast, salt, gluten and dry milk together in the bowl of an electric mixer or by hand. Add the white flour and mix well. Continue adding the whole wheat flour until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl and the dough is soft but not overly sticky. Knead for 10 minutes until a soft, smooth dough has formed. Using oil or cooking spray to grease your hands and countertops, form the dough into 4 loaves. Place the loaves into the bread pans and cover with lightly greased plastic wrap. Let them rise until the dough has risen about 1 1/2 inches above the top of the bread pan. Place the bread pans carefully in a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees and bake for 38 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn out the bread onto a wire rack. Let cool completely before placing in bags to put in the freezer.


No comments:
Post a Comment