Tuesday, July 26, 2011

out of the mouth of babes...

... you never know what you're going to get.

A few weeks back I was out running errands.  When I got home my husband says, "you'll never believe what happened tonight" then he proceeds to tell me that the Elders from our ward were over with our neighbor and while they were chatting Brooklyn says to Cory, all while pointing, "that's a fat boy."  Cory was talking and didn't hear what she said so when he was done he asked her what she said.  She repeated, again while pointing, "that's a fat boy."  Cory and everyone who heard are trying not to laugh and make the situation anymore awkward when the particular Elder she was referring to asked what she said.  Without missing a beat Ethan replies, "she said she thinks you're fat."

Great.  Have we taught our children nothing?!?!?!

The poor Elder.  He was a good sport and replied that at least he'd have something to write about in his journal that night.  I guess that's a positive???

Fast forward two weeks.

We invited the Elders over for dinner this past Sunday.  Before they arrived we gave Brooklyn "the talk" about not talking about peoples weight.  In the middle of dinner she whispers (but loud enough for everyone to hear) and shyly points, "I didn't say he was a fat boy" (repeated at least twice)  When I tried to shush her, her big brown eyes filled with tears and her lip started to quiver... then cry.  I assured her (in her ear) that it was okay we just need to not say anything.  I felt bad for her because in her mind she was just reaffirming that she wasn't going to say what we talked about...  even though she did.  Mistakes happen, I had a few growing up too when I was a little girl (my Mom remembers those all too well I'm sure).

Like I said, out of the mouth of babes... you never know what you're going to get.

1 comment: