Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Huckleberry picking and roast

This past Labor Day some good friends in our ward invited us to go up to Kelly Canyon and pick wild huckleberries.  We left around 3 and drove an hour to our destination on a dirt and rough road.  It was a bit overcast and started to rain partway through picking.  If you haven't seen a huckleberry (like I hadn't) I didn't realize that these 1/4 inch fruit would take so long to pick.  I think we picked an hour and I got about 3 cups worth.  But the kids had a good time playing with their friends and eating huckleberries.

A little after 6 we headed down the mountain in search of a great place for a cookout.  After several attempts Cory and the boys got the fire going.  Below are some pictures from our time at the roast.  Unfortunately no picks of huckleberry picking or our friends (we thought we'd be hiking in 1/2 mile so I left my camera behind and our friends didn't get to our cookout until about an hour after I got these; it was getting pretty dark) but I did make some awesome jam earlier this week!

Love that Ethan boy expression
Trying to get the smoke to go away
The only photo I could get the kids to stand together in.  I'll take what I can get.  Look how dirty they are!
dirt, dirt, and more dirt!
I didn't think these shoes would ever be the same but they cleaned up pretty well!
I love this close-up of Brooklyn.
She has huckleberry juice on her nose and cheek (which one of the little girls with us told her it was blood and she started crying), dirt on her eyelashes and around her mouth.  So cute!
Also didn't think this sweatshirt would clean up well but with a little bleach it looks good as new!  Probably not the smartest color to wear outdoors in the mountains but it's the only sweatshirt she likes to wear!
True little boy outdoor jeans with light-saber in hand... always.  We have future Jedi's in training at our home on an almost constant basis!
Sterling was just so happy (and screeching) just being outdoors.
Briggs took this of Cory and I.  Cory looks like he isn't happy about taking the photo.  Maybe it was just that his fire wasn't staying lit.  It all worked out okay!
Brooklyn helping with the fire

I seriously can't get enough profile pictures of this little girl!  Before I know it her little baby cheeks are going to be gone.  So for now I just take as many photos as I can just to remember!

Another goofy picture of Ethan!
Eating a stick!  What a cute little boy!

Ethan always with a stick in the fire.  Totally a boy thing!

And this is nothing related but just because it was funny.  Today while I was pumping Brooklyn came in to observe (I was trying to be as discrete as possible) and she asked what it was.  Milk, I told her.  She asked if the milk was coming out of my tummy?  I said no.  Then she said, "yes, the milk is coming out of your tummy and when I'm a mommy I'll have milk come out of my tummy too."  Then as she closed the door with a smile she said, "I love you sweety mom!"   All I could do was smile... then tell Cory when I got a chance.  It was too cute!

No comments: