Saturday, September 17, 2011

Eastern Idaho State Fair

September 8th we took to whole family to the fair.  

I love this small town fair!  In fact, most other fairs don't interest me like this one does.   

There are great animal exhibits, 2 free petting zoo's, a free sports area, that my kids/husband loved (run by my old friend Cory Smith and his wife).  It was fun to see a familiar face and catch up with him.  A wonderful photography pavilion that I love walking through.  Yummy scone nuggets that I could eat over and over.. I'm not kidding either!  In fact is my fair food of choice.  Forget the burgers, the corn dogs, corn on the cob, barbaric turkey legs, ice cream, fudge or fancy sandwiches, just give me some scone nuggets with cinnamon and sugar and some yummy honey butter and I'm happy as a peach!  I only indulged in one plate and my hubby and kids helped me eat it; probably a good thing!  But boy, do I look forward to those every year.  The indian relay races are also fun, though we didn't make it there this year.

So without further ado... here are some of our photos from the day! 

Cory tried to get the boys to climb up onto that ledge above our heads and thankfully they declined.  So here is a photo of us with the big cow head!

Have I mentioned just how much I love this small-town fair!

We got there around dinner time.  We only seem to last a few hours anyway so the first order of business was getting some grub.  The kids, of course, wanted corn dogs.


I love those ketchup faces!


Riding the rides is soooooo expensive (like 3-4 dollars per 1 minute ride) so we told the kids they could only pick one ride.  We got some grumbles so I think next year the kids are going to earn their own money to take to the fair; they might look at it a bit differently... In fact I'm almost certain.  We're looking to make a change in our family that way anyway.  A little more accountability never hurt anyone ;-)  

Above:  the boys waiting for their caterpillar roller coaster; the same one as last year.  Boy how they've grown in one year!  They loved it!




Briggs had the death grip on the bar the entire time and Ethan just sat back for the ride.  It's interesting how different they are!


After the ride.  Maybe a little smile there Ethan!


For Brooklyn's ride she chose (with a little direction from us) a little boat with a really loud bell.  It was pretty cute seeing her drive!




Happy Sterling boy!


The kids got to milk this cow.  The boys thought it was pretty fun.




It actually sprayed white liquid!


Cory won a wii dance off; it was quite entertaining.  I could actually see myself liking it, just not in a public session where someone might remark, like this lady that walked by me, that Cory was dancing even better than that girl (girl on left)!  


The kids fed the goats at the petting zoo




I love this one of Brooklyn trying to keep her food from this goat!



I thought this was an interesting unshaved llama (not so cute if you ask me).  But he and Cory were looking in the same direction and this picture made me smile.


All done!


One minute he's interested and the next...


Not so much!

And that's a wrap!  Here's to another great year at the fair.

And just for future reference.  You know like how our parents paid .25 cents a gallon for milk or .10 cents for bread, or .50 cents for a gallon of gas, here are this years fair prices for admittance $6.00 adults, $2.00 kids 6-11 and then a whole bunch more for food (like $40).  In fact, aside from 3 kid rides, the rest of our spending went towards dinner and desert.  It's all about atmosphere and eating way over your caloric allowance that makes it so great!  Totally worth it once a year though! 

Until next...

2 comments:

Tora Family said...

Looks like so much fun. We totally missed our fair this year. Seeing your post brought back memories of when we used to work the fair. ;)

Sadie said...

Incompletely agree! There is nothing like our fair. We missed you at the horse races.