Thursday, May 27, 2010

Part 2 on our journey westward


It's been a few crazy weeks and there are just some things that bug me when they don't get done...like making my bed in the morning, or cooking in a clean kitchen, or updating my photo journal (ie. blog) so I figured it was about time. So here is a little about our 6 day trip from New York, to Columbus, and onto Idaho. Monday we left New York and headed back to Columbus to get our other car. We were fortunate enough to stop and see our friends the Matthew who just had their baby boy while we were in New York; what a sweet boy--made me baby hungry ;-)

We stayed the night with our great friends the Koenig's. We played a final game of settlers, laughed until it hurt (muffins anyone ;-), then headed to bed.

When I woke up the next morning I went downstairs in the basement to get some laundry (where they hold seminary) and I happened to look on their wipe board and saw that three of my young women had left me sweet messages; it made me smile and made my day! It was a sad goodbye. We will miss the Koenigs and so many of our other friends very much!


The boys trading pokeman cards

It was pouring rain when we left Columbus on our way to stay in Illinois that first night.

A great rest stop in Illinois



You're never too big to be a kid! Just ask my husband ;-)







The boys loved the ducks and their ducklings!

Nauvoo
We stayed just outside of Nauvoo on Tuesday and then spent a full, but very wet day in Nauvoo visiting the church history sites there.


Just like this picture

The boys in the first endowment room in the top floor of the Red Brick Store

This sign made me laugh

Brick yard


We spent a lot of time here because they had fun activities and demonstrations like how they made bread, candles, rope, pots...the boys liked it and it was shelter from the incessant rain!

Cory and boys with the rope they made



The Blacksmith; one of my favorites! The boys loved the little horse shoe that he made for them. This Elder missionary was so sweet and such a nice guy!




Gorgeous flowers!

The boys loved the oxen



Briggs took this picture of the fence. I think he did a great job!

Cory and traded off so we could each go in the temple. What a neat experience and what a beautiful temple! While I was in the temple Cory took the boys to Carthage jail (I've been there years ago) and when he went in I took the boys to the blacksmith shop, the family living center and to go look at the animals.


I told the boys I want them to be good brothers to each other like Hyrum and Joseph were.

I love these statues of Joseph and Hyrum Smith looking toward the temple!

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. Well, except for the ghetto Ramada Inn hotel we stayed at in Kearney Nebraska with the fake lazy river and scary Indians checking me out...oh and the lovely mold, the bathroom door that wouldn't shut, and the band playing outside in the hallway and how Cory accidently booked a smoking room for us (which he thankfully promptly changed); it was a bad dream...I almost started crying, not really but I did head out to the nearest mall for some R and R away from the hotel. Cory stayed with the boys. It all makes for a good story now we know that it is worth a few extra bucks for a nicer hotel--really I'm not a diva, but I do have hotel standards.

The next night we sprung an extra $15 bucks and stayed in a brand new Holiday Inn Express in Rock Springs, Wyoming; what a great town too! Totally surprised! And TOTALLY worth it!!!

No comments: