Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter weekend...

This friday started with Cory going on his first camp-out as young men's pres. to some ice caves; they had a great time... He is totally loving his calling!

Saturday morning, Cory was still gone, so I loaded the kiddos up to go to Rexburg for my cousin Ashley's baby shower and then my sister's baby shower (both due the same day in June); the kids were troopers. They enjoyed the mini cupcakes at Ashley's shower and watching Tangled with popcorn at Crystals. We didn't get home until about two.

Unfortunately, I had grandiose ideas for Easter this year, but didn't do any of them. First being that the Easter Bunny didn't make our home this year... I know I know, but we have this thing... Cory and I... where we traditionally do the commercial part of Easter the Saturday before so we can reserve Sunday for talking about the Savior and his resurrection; we just want our kids to be super clear on the reason we celebrate the season (and I may or may not have been all that prepared). Since he was gone on his camp-out and we didn't see each other until 2 it just wasn't in the cards. Did I mention we didn't dye eggs either (I keep getting lamer and lamer ;-) I know!). I don't think we've ever missed a year of that. Fortunately they didn't seem to notice.

Shortly after getting home Saturday we got a call saying that our good friends were in town and wanted to come by and say hi. We are so glad they did. It is always a good time when they come to town and it always includes lots of laughs, good conversations, and food... a must!

The Eatons

Sterling and Clair; only 2 1/2 weeks apart

Amy and me

They left around 6 and the kids were in bed by 7 and it wasn't until it was too late that I remembered that I wanted to make these special easter cookies with my kids, that you put in the oven the night before and when you open them in the morning they are hollow; representing the tomb of the resurrected Savior... need-less-to-say, that didn't happen. Bummer.

But it was still a great day.

I woke up to my two boys coloring on the countertop listening to music. They crack me up.

And this girl who was all dolled up... gotta love this and all those cute hand prints on my fridge!

I made my families favorite breakfast of German Pancakes with sausage. You never know how or what they are going to look like which is always fun; they were growing over the side this time. My little family devours these like I devour treats! Which is why I'm getting started on the Belly Fat Cure Monday! Wish me luck ;-)

We went to church and enjoyed sacrament meeting and then after church headed off to Grandpa and Grandma Hansen's for a nice ham, potato, beans, and rolls meal! That's my kind of meal; it was so yummy!

This is Brooklyn riding her tricycle before going to Grandma's.
She takes it very serious ;-) and she's just pretty cute!

After dinner Grandpa and Grandma had a little easter hunt for these two below in the backyard grass so they wouldn't be overshadowed by the older kids. It is so fun to see their excitement.

And, yes, it would appear they are kissing cousins. This cracked me up.

The older kids' eggs were hidden out in the field

Grandpa helping Ethan
A few fun pictures of the kids

All the cousins after the easter egg hunt

Our family

Grandma holding Sterling

Going through all their easter eggs
The pictures above were taken without them knowing I had the camera. Rigdon was sharing his smartie's with Brooklyn who was just so happy that she reached up and kissed his forehead; it was really sweet. I love his expression.

After we finished up the hunt and the kids ate a sufficient amount of candy and played dodge ball for a bit we headed out on a leisurely bike ride around the greenbelt. It was finally a nice day (slightly above 50 with NO wind) and it's a good thing we did because it has looked like a snow globe outside all day long today.

It was nice to spend Easter with family! We feel so blessed to be close to them! And of course appreciate all that Carl and Judy did to make it a special day for all of us.

Monday night for Family Home Evening we did a special lesson on the Savior using colored plastic eggs and scriptures that talk about the Savior; the kids really loved that. I guess we got the most important parts about Easter; Family and the Savior.

1 comment:

chrisjones said...

Sounds like the perfect Easter weekend, full of friends and family. We use to do the candy stuff on Saturdays too, but yeah, sometimes Saturday gets away from you. I'm guessing your kids figured out how to get enough chocolate anyway:)