Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Drama in the house...


This afternoon was rough around these parts. Kids taking 2 hours to fold laundry, back-talking, a sweltering house, multiple time-outs, Brooklyn's hi-pitched screaming while I'm cooking over a hot stove, burned garlic bread because I had two kids in time-out. It was intense to say the least.

So tonight right before bed Ethan graced the time-out corner once again with huge tears in his eyes and in his anger he slammed his bedroom door as hard as he could (which I absolutely loathe!! and which he does a lot!!) and I got after him which caused the tears to flow even more--definitely securing me a spot for mother of the year ;-)

As I was putting them to bed we were discussing the choices that were made today and how they felt about everything. Briggs said "I can never make good choices" (and today was rough, though he did a lot of good) and Ethan, my ever-spiteful Ethan, who was still upset with me, said with fresh tears in his eyes, that I wasn't going to be able to go to the temple any more.

I asked him why he thought that?

His reply was that I told him that that we have to make good choices to be able to go to the temple.

So, as I listened I was grateful that he actually was paying attention in family home evening last week when we talked about temples, and then I took the opportunity to explain to the boys that each day we make a lot of good choices and some not-so-good choices (even mommy and daddy) but the important thing was that we try harder the next day to be better. I taught them how they can pray to Heavenly Father to ask for forgiveness and help with the things that they struggle with and that I do that every single day.

I was touched as they both said their prayers and asked for individual things to work on.

I am finding, even in the past week, that I have had a lot of "moments" with my boys where I get the opportunity to teach them or answer their questions and I know with Briggs in school this year it will open the doors even more as he comes home with things I wish he didn't have to learn about at such a young age.

I guess what I'm saying, is it feels really good to be able to talk openly with our kids. Briggs and I had a great conversation in the car the other day about alcohol and being a leader in school. I am so grateful for the opportunities as a mother that I have to teach, and I'm so grateful for the children that Heavenly Father has blessed us with.

2 comments:

Amy Eaton said...

It can be so overwhelming to teach them enough, especially when you wish that they can just stay little and be kids....So sad that you and your cute kiddos weren't home when we stopped by. You have a beautiful home! Hope you are liking good old IF. It's crazy but I do really miss it:)

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

You have such sweeties.
There is nothing more humbling than children. ;D

We all have those tough days- big hugs to you!

(how are you feeling, btw)....