(Day 1 is below this post)

Day two began with two tired parents (believe it or not...even after all that sleep). Brooklyn woke up around 5:30 ish and wasn't feeling good and only wanted to be held and she sure felt like she was running a fever. Ethan woke up several times during the night coughing and couldn't stop so finally we moved him into our room and about 4 am Cory got up and gave him a hot shower to clear his throat--boy that always does the trick and he went back to sleep in our comfortable bed with me and Cory went out and slept on the hide-a-bed with Briggs. After we all finally rolled out of bed Cory and I were seriously questioning whether we wanted to add another 3 hours driving time to our trip that day plus all the time we'd spend in Palmyra so the question of whether we wanted to go through all that with two sick kids was the million dollar dilemma. At breakfast and after much deliberating we decided that we are going!!! To Palmyra or bust!! We went back and packed up to head out.
(the above picture is a perfect visual of the state of condition the kids were in all day--I think that is why I love this photo so much--that, and I am removed from the situation by about a day!)
As I was packing Brooklyn kept crying and she only wanted to be held (that was going to make for some slow packing). I finally put her in her stroller and gave her a jar of candy to play with (courtesy of Marriot) and that kept her happy and occupied for a few minutes. As we were about to go I asked Ethan, "hey buddy, could you please pick up those candies for me and put them in the jar?" to which he replied with, "I can't.....it's too dangerous for me to do...." What?!?!?! Where do they come up with it. I am still laughing at that one!
We got onto the road and headed to Palmyra, and we are so glad that we did!! We had the boys watch the Living Scriptures video on Joseph Smith (3 times) and I heard Briggs say to Ethan, "...and he said, this is my Beloved Son in whom I am well-pleased." What a sweet moment for us as parents to hear that our kids are picking up those precious
doctrines that we believe. What a special experience and place to visit!
Just as every church history site that we've been to, there is always way more to do than we could ever do with kids and short attention spans but it was really fun to see the things that we did see.

Ethan and Briggs noticed the nails in Jesus's hands and feet and wanted to touch them. Can you see how Ethan wants to keep touching Jesus. What sweet boys.

Touching his hands

The statue at the top of the Hill; what a climb!

Briggs by the Three witnesses description




Briggs in front of the set of the annual Hill Cumorah Pagent. When we drove up the the visitors center there were hundreds of youth out there practicing with swords and Briggs asked if he could go play with them. Funny boy! 

Inside the Smith home; a replica (though actually built on the foundation)



In Joseph Smiths room where he received the visitation from Angel Moroni

Briggs took the above picture!! On the back steps of the Log Home.




I love this picture that is taken as you walk down the road from the Log Home to the Frame House. You can see the temple in the background. My handsome boys!!!

On the front steps of Frame home (95% structurally original)

I love the old walls.

Doesn't that little toilet make you so grateful for modern day conveniences. The boys loved this one.


Tired and sick Brooklyn. I felt so bad for her.

Briggs in front of the Cooper Shop where Joseph Smith hid the plates in the floor boards and was told by the spirit to move them to the loft. Later that night a mob tore up the entire floor of the Cooper shop and did not find the plates.


Family picture via self timer


Cory sharing his testimony with the kids about the truthfulness of the gospel and of the appearance of God the Father and his son Jesus Christ to the boy Joseph Smith in the spring of 1820. What a wonderful spirit that was in the Sacred Grove.

Another picture by Briggs. Stealing a kiss from my hunny. I love the kids face in this one. Priceless!!

Cory especially appreciates these photos below as it really depicts the religious confusion that was going on in the early 1800's (On one street corner in Palmyra there are 4 different churches all of different denominations). And because I can't say it better...

Joseph Smith lived in the United States, which was perhaps the only country to enjoy religious freedom at the time. It was at a time of great religious excitement in the eastern United States, and Joseph Smith’s family members were deeply religious and constantly sought for truth. The Holy Bible? taught that there was “one Lord, one faith, one baptism” ( Ephesians 4:5), but many ministers claimed to have the true gospel. Joseph attended different churches, but he was confused about which church he should join and desired “to know which of all the sects was right” ( Joseph Smith—History 1:18). He later wrote:
“So great were the confusion and strife among the different denominations, that it was impossible for a person young as I was . . . to come to any certain conclusion who was right and who was wrong. . . . In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it?”
As Joseph sought truth among the different faiths, he turned to the Bible for guidance. He read, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him” ( James 1:5). Because of this passage, Joseph decided to ask God what he should do. In the spring of 1820 he went to a nearby grove of trees and knelt in prayer. He described his experience: “I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. . . . When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!” ( Joseph Smith—History 1:16–17). In this vision God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, appeared to Joseph Smith. The Savior told Joseph not to join any of the churches, for they “were all wrong.” The Savior stated, “They draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof”
Joseph Smith’s First Vision? marked the beginning of the Restoration? of Jesus Christ’s Church to the earth. In subsequent years, Christ restored His priesthood and reorganized His Church. He has continued to reveal truths to His prophets and to restore the blessings that were taken from the earth for a time.

And I know with all my heart that it is true! I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have and I value my membership in this church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and that I know that I am a daughter of God. I know that Jesus Christ atoned personally for me and for my sins so that if I live righteously I may live with Him and my family forever. That knowledge is priceless to me. Each time I visit a church history site my testimony grows so much. This Church is true! I believe it with all my heart.


On the way home Briggs said to Cory and I, "I sure liked Joseph Smiths house....and the place that he prayed....I really liked that a lot!" Wow, if that doesn't make up for two sick kids, one running a fever and one throwing up in the car, a 6-hour drive, and one broken video camera than I don't know what else does; it truly was a day that I hope our boys remember--I'm certainly not going to forget.
Today Cory taught Briggs sunday school class and Briggs wanted to draw a picture of the Sacred Grove with Joseph Smith and Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. He did a great job! That one is definitely going in his little book.
(This is a picture of his picture--our scanner is not working, but you get the idea. It's pretty cute!)
3 comments:
You should have called or emailed me. We are only 4 hours from Palmyra. We would have loved to have seen you guys. Oh well, next time. I'm glad you guys had a wonderful time.
What a fun trip..even the not so fun parts...that's what helps make it memorable. :) Love the pictures! Looks like you got a new camera.
Wow! What a trip! Your made our Arizona trip look like a piece of cake...almost. Sick babies are definately not fun when you're traveling. But it also looked like you all got to see some great things too! Too bad about the camcorder - but a great excuse to go buy a new one.
Post a Comment