Friday, June 6, 2008

The Dentist

This morning I took Briggs for a dental check-up. I took him around his third birthday in Kansas City and it didn't go all that well, so all week long I had been prepping him for today. He was really excited all week as we read some books on going to the dentist and we talked about what would happen, and that when he was done he would get a toy, and who can forget the ice-cream bribe I offered if he let them look at his teeth.


So all week long he has been going around the house saying "I LOVE the dentist!" So this morning dawned and I reminded him what today was and his response was surprisingly, "I don't want to go to the dentist, their going to cut me." I'm not sure where he got that idea but I assured him that the wouldn't cut him and that it was a really FUN place.

When we arrived I told the hygienist that perhaps it would be better if she just took him back and hopefully he would be better with just her. I didn't hear any crying so Ethan and I decided to go back and watch and he was absolutely perfect sitting there in the chair with his little bib on. He not only let her count his teeth (which I thought would be a miracle in and of itself) but he let her use the pick, the electric toothbrush, floss, take pictures, the water pick and vacuum and the whole time he would say over and over, "I'm doing soooo good!" (He was so proud of himself, and I was so happy!)

He got to pick out a little green car, and of course Ethan picked out a toy for himself as well (a white monster truck; after all he was also a good boy). On the way home he called daddy to tell him all about it and after lunch he got his bowl of ice cream with strawberry syrup on top and he was the happiest little boy!


Below: They had this fun little dinosaur who had enormous teeth and a huge toothbrush that Ethan loved playing with. Here are some photos of him.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am deathly afraid to take anden to the dentist office. it's nice to know that you worked with briggs after his first visit, we'll have to try that soon.

S&J Jones Family said...

I am going to take James in to the dentist. I'm sure it will probably go about how Brigg's did last year. He has sensitive teeth/gums and I have to fight him every night when I brush his teeth. He loves to brush the front ones but hates when I do the back ones. I swear I am very gentle, too!

Howling Pickup said...

Your boys are getting so big and they are adorable. I can't wait to see what your little girl looks like! Do you have a name picked out yet? How are you feeling? I am glad to hear that Briggs had a better experience at the dentist. I took Noah when he turned three also and he wouldn't even open his mouth. I am thinking of trying again soon. Hopefully we will have better luck next time!

Tora Family said...

I've never seen so many smiles at a dentist office. I don't blame Briggs...I HATE the dentist. You have such handsome boys...that Ethan has really grown. You are going to have a gorgeous little girl! Good thing she will have two older brothers to keep those boys away. :)

Summer said...

Hi! How funny- I found you through Michelle through Andrea- LOL. Bree is cooing at the dinosaur in your pics, so I think I'll hang out here for a minute if you don't mind... ;-)

Cute blog, btw!! That's such a great dentist experience! (Luckyyy.)

The Becks said...

Oh my goodness, your boys are getting so big... and so handsome! I need to show this to Victoria to get her excited about the dentist. I haven't taken her for fear it would be a disaster.

S&J Jones Family said...

Cute new background!