The week before Thanksgiving I couldn't get it out of my mind that NOW was the time to refinish my
much in dire need-ugly-scratched-dirty-boring table and chairs...
much to my husbands roll of the eyes. The more I thought about it the more it had to get done!! It's a disease really! The "I-have-to-do-it-now" disease! You see about 6 months ago (in the warm summer months; the ideal time to do something this large) I got the genius idea to start and I sanded one chair and it has sat and sat.... sad and lonely in my garage all of this time.
So before we left for Arizona for Thanksgiving I contacted a girl from church who refinishes furniture and she was able to sand down all of our chairs while we were gone (totally worth the $100 for 5 chairs; do you see all that detail?!?!?) and when we got back I dedicated 2 weeks to refinishing our table, painting and re-upholstering our chairs. Here are some of the before/after pictures!
I'll admit it was a HUGE pain... but thankfully the first few weeks of December were unseasonably warm and I was able to get it done relatively fast. I'm hoping I don't have to refinish it again for a loooooong time! I guess technically I don't "have" to re-do, re-finish anything... it's just part of who I am I guess. So, here is to kicking the new year off with a fresh start!
Our chairs have been thrown up on, peed on, had spilled milk, and food of all kinds on them... they were screaming out for a replacement so I did just that! Good riddance is all I have to say!
That quarter sized white spot is paint that got accidently removed from leaving a cotton ball of acetone on the table (apparently a big no no!) well over 2 years ago (when I originally was going to refinish the table) and I couldn't be more happy to have that gone now! The style worked for us 5 years ago... not so much now... you can see why it was time for a face-lift!
Just a little glimpse of the BIG mess. I used a spray gun for the chairs and it worked like a dream (totally worth the money... it's my new favorite tool!) and I sprayed the base coat on the table and legs and then I hand brushed the rest of the table. It was quite the sight!
A photo at night. I need to take some photos during the day all set up nice with my centerpiece, but below are some that I took while it was inside drying before we started using it. Now... what to do about that darn light over the table... I see another project coming on!
I chose two types of chair upholstery. I love the yellow/mustard color (fabric from Home Fabrics for $10 total for 4 chairs). I paired it with a faux ostrich vinyl type fabric for the end chairs ($20 total). It's hard to tell from the photos but the chairs are actually a light grey and they compliment the creamy table quite well! I really love it!
You can see the grey a little better in this photo above.
I distressed the table top because I didn't want to be the mom that stresses when anything hits or bumps my "perfect" table. It works great for a family with 4 small kids! Overall I couldn't be more happy. My kitchen looks bigger and it fits the style of our home more!


4 comments:
Oh my gosh Lisa I love your table! I wish you could come to Nebraska and do mine :) it looks so great. And i also loved your Christmas card. I saw it at my parents and thought it was adorable. You have such a cute little family and I'm so glad we got to see you for a few quick seconds at Megan's reception. It has been so long. Glad you're all doing well!
It doesn't look like my last comment posted so here it is again. SOrry if I'm just doubling up. But Lisa I just had to tell you I love your table! it looks so good. I wish you could come and do that to my table :) and ps your Christmas card was adorable. I saw it at my parent's and love it. your family is so cute and I'm so glad we got to see you guys for a few seconds at Megan's reception because it has been way too long. So glad you guys are doing well!
I love it. I always find it amazing what a fresh coat of white paint can do to just about any piece of furniture. It's lovely. I have the same project on my list and it's been on that same list for far too long!
Wow looks great! Good job.
Post a Comment